Choctaw Nicoma Park Schools
Guidelines and Procedures for Chromebook Usage
Over the last several years, the Choctaw Nicoma Park Schools have been able to increase the number of Chromebooks available for student use. We currently have inventory to provide a Chromebook to each student during the school day. We also have a limited number of Chromebooks available for use at home (Please see our take home policy).
- Chromebook Procedures and Care:
- Students will be responsible for the care of the Chromebook they are assigned.
- Students should never “swap” or “share” their Chromebook with another student.
- Chromebooks should be in a student’s possession or secured in a classroom at all times.
- Chromebooks are never to be brought to gym class or lunch.
- Chromebooks are never to be taken outside for recess.
- Students should not use the Chromebook while walking.
- Chromebooks should only be used while they are on a flat, stable surface such as a desk or table.
- Chromebooks can be fragile, and if they are dropped they may break.
- Students should protect the Chromebook from extreme heat or cold.
- Chromebooks should be protected from weather, water and other liquids and foods.
- Students should never eat or drink while using the Chromebook, or use the Chromebook near others who are eating or drinking.
- Heavy objects should never be placed on the Chromebook. This includes books, musical instruments, sports equipment, etc.
- Chromebooks should not be placed under soft items such as pillows, chairs, cushions, blankets or clothing. This will cause the Chromebook to overheat, which will result in damage.
- Students should use care when plugging in the power cord.
- When not in use, the Chromebook should be turned to “off” or in “sleep” mode.
- Never put anything on the Chromebook’s keyboard and close the lid. This includes earbuds.
- Students should leave the Chromebook identifying barcodes in place.
- The student may not deface or destroy this property in any way. Do not add stickers, pictures, wording, etc to any part of the Chromebook or Google account. Students are expected to treat the Chromebook with care. The Chromebook should be kept clean and free of any marks at all times.
- Students are to use the Chromebooks in accordance with all District Acceptable Use Policies, the Student Code of Conduct, as well as local, state, and federal laws.
- Students should be aware that Internet access and email, and other media that are accessed, created, or stored on their devices are the sole property of the Choctaw Nicoma Park School District. The district has the right to review these items for appropriateness and to limit or revoke a student’s access to them at any time for any reason. No expectations of privacy in their use of the Chromebook, including email, stored files or Internet sites visited should be assumed by the student users. Inappropriate use of the Chromebook may result in the student losing their rights and privilege to use the device.
- Students should keep their Chromebook information secure. Students should never share their password(s) with another student. Passwords should always be kept confidential. The student may not make any attempt to add, delete, access, or modify other user accounts on the Chromebook. Any inappropriate or careless use of the Chromebook should be reported to an administrator, teacher or staff member immediately.
- Students will become familiar with charging procedures for each classroom. Each teacher will inform their students on the charging procedures for their school site.
- Students leaving the Choctaw Nicoma Park School District for any reason are required to return their Chromebook in good condition prior to withdrawal or graduation.
- Consequences of Inappropriate Use:
- Use of any district technology is a privilege and not a right. Students are expected to use their assigned Chromebook in accordance with these Guidelines and Procedures, the District Acceptable Usage Policy and any applicable laws.
- Failure to use the Chromebook in an appropriate manner may result in the cancellation of student use and/or disciplinary action as determined by the staff and administration of the Choctaw Nicoma Park Schools
- Chromebook Protection Plan:
- The Choctaw Nicoma Park Schools is offering Parents/Guardians/Students a $25.00 non-refundable Chromebook Protection Plan renewable each school year.
- The usage fee will cover a single incident of accidental damage as well as stolen devices with an official police report.
- The usage fee does not cover malicious acts, intentional damage, or negligence. Negligence is defined as a failure to take proper care of the Chromebook including leaving the Chromebook unattended or unsecured.
- The Chromebook Protection Plan covers the cost of the following repairs throughout a single school year:
- One accidental damage claim (e.g. broken screen, liquid damage, missing keys)
- One device replacement if stolen. This requires filing a police report with local law enforcement.
- One lost charging cord replacement.
- While this fee is optional, the District strongly recommends that families purchase the plan. Chromebooks not covered by the Protection Plan will be subject but not limited to the following charges:
- Damage repair — $100 per repair
- Replacement AC adapter — $30 per replacement
- Complete Chromebook replacement due to loss, theft or damage — current market price, approximately $300.
- Parents/guardians/students will be responsible for the entire cost of repairs that are the result of willful/negligent damage to the Chromebook or power supply/cord.
- If the Chromebook is lost or stolen, a parent/guardian/student should immediately report the loss or theft to the Principal’s office.
- If the Chromebook is damaged or not working properly, return it immediately to your teacher, so it may be forwarded to the District Technology staff for repair or replacement.
- Parents/guardians are not authorized to attempt repairs themselves or contract with any other individual or business for repair of the Chromebook.
The "Chromebook Usage Agreement" will be distributed by the teachers to be brought home, signed and returned. This form must be completed prior to the student being able to use or check out a Chromebook for school use.
If you did not receive this form a copy is available HERE along with a copy of the Guidelines and Procedures for Chromebook Usage.
Please make payment through your student’s PowerSchool account:
Please sign into PowerSchool to access TouchBase. If you have forgotten your user name or password contact your student's school. The steps below can only be done using an internet browser such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Safari, Android browser, etc. (computer, tablet, smartphone) and CANNOT be done using the PowerSchool Mobile App.
Sign into PowerSchool.
Once signed in, click the square and arrow icon in the blue bar on the upper right corner of your screen.
The available applications will appear.
Select Purchases and Payments.
You will immediately be taken to TouchBase without having to sign in